top of page
Search

Vaseline or Aquaphor? Which is better for microblading healing and why.

Aftercare is extremely important when it comes to microblading retention. Not following our aftercare guidelines can prove detrimental to your healed results. Keeping your new brows moisturized and well taken care of will make all the difference.


One question we're constantly asked is "Can I use Vaseline to keep my brows moisturized?". We always advise against Vaseline and instead recommend Aquaphor. Here's the reasons why.


Firstly, let's look at the similarities between the two.


Question: What does Vaseline and Aquaphor have in common?

Answer:

  • Skin Protectants- a thin barrier or layer of either product can be applied to damaged skin or to skin which is at risk of damage.

  • Occlusive moisturizers- both products form a film or barrier to prevent water loss - perfect for dry/dehydrated skin.

Now let's examine the differences.


Vaseline

  • Consists of 100% petrolatum and doesn't contain any other ingredients.

Aquaphor

  • Contains around 41% petrolatum, with the remaining 59% being made up of: mineral oil (smooths and softens skin), ceresin (improves texture), lanolin alcohol (helps defend against moisture loss), panthenol (skin protectant with anti-inflammatory properties), glycerin (relieves skin dryness), and bisabolol (soothes).

Question: Why does this matter in terms of healing your microbladed brows?

Answer:

  • In the first few days after getting microbladed, you’ll need to keep it moisturized. Aquaphor is recommended for microblading because of its anti-inflammatory properties, while Vaseline is not, as it can block air from getting to the tattoo, which is needed for healing.

The Takeaway

Aquaphor tends to be a better moisturizer because it contains humectant ingredients and is occlusive, while Vaseline is only occlusive. We hope this explanation answered all your questions as to why you should use Aquaphor instead of Vaseline for healing your microbladed brows. Follow all aftercare advice and use Aquaphor for the best healed results!


1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page